The Plexus Consulting Group® Government and Public Relations Practice...
provides advice and assistance to leaders of American corporations, trade associations, and other organizations as they pursue specific public policy objectives.
We employ a mix of traditional and leading-edge techniques to help clients achieve immediate and long-term results. We provide strategic guidance and timely insight on public policy issues. We have a broad-range of substantive expertise, including: defense and aerospace; energy and natural resources; federal support for high-tech ventures; environmental and health regulation; and federal budget and appropriations.
Our greatest strength, however, lies not in knowledge of individual policies, but rather in our understanding of the policy-making process. While any good Washington adviser can quickly learn an issue, it requires years of hands-on involvement to truly comprehend and influence the complex process by which federal policies are made.
Besides providing public policy advice, we also help clients prepare and carry out strategies to achieve specific legislative and administrative results. In some situations, the use of political campaign "tools" such as public opinion polls or focus group research may be required. In other cases, the creation of a grassroots organization in one or more states, or a coalition in Washington may be needed. In still other instances, our role may be to simply open doors, fine-tune the message, and create the materials needed for the best possible presentation to key Members of Congress and Executive Branch officials.We're Results Oriented
Plexus also offers several more narrowly focused federal government relations services. We help clients—
- gather intelligence about Congressional or agency activities;
- secure specific legislative or administrative results;
- respond to problems created by the efforts of others to change statutes, policies, or regulations;
- build and manage coalitions; and
- communicate effectively with federal decision-makers and those who influence them.
Federal law-makers and executives are continually "fine-tuning" America's legal, political, and economic system, presenting both opportunities and problems for the business community. We can help clients take advantage of opportunities and avoid problems by:
- tracking legislation and agency rule-making;
- establishing and maintaining contact with key players within both the public and private sectors; and
- identifying trends that may affect projects, plans, or profitability.
Responding to Challenges
Monitoring the ever-changing Washington scene is not—in and of itself— the objective most clients have in mind when they call on us to represent them. Instead, they know how important it is to respond promptly and appropriately when federal statutes, policies, and regulations are changing. We have extensive experience in this area and can help clients:
- correctly analyze the situation they face;
- identify opponents and allies;
- create and manage coalitions (if necessary and appropriate);
- work with the news media to influence public opinion;
- organize and oversee legislative and/or administrative campaigns;
- generate grassroots support; and
- effectively use the opportunities provided by Congressional hearings and other public forums.
We are effective face-to-face advocates and regularly help clients:
- secure changes in laws or regulations;
- obtain federal funds;
- utilize existing federal programs; and
- secure other legislative or administrative results.
Coalitions & Consensus Building
Coalitions represent enormous political and economic value. From a political standpoint, coalitions amplify and expand the influence of a single corporation or association. From a financial standpoint, coalitions spread the cost of a government relations campaign among beneficiaries. We have organized, coordinated, and/or managed several winning coalitions.
Public Policy Communications
A favorite saying in the Nation's Capital is that "you are only as good as the ‘paper' you leave behind." We have long been known as effective communicators because we employ a mix of style, substance, and wit to ensure that our "paper" gets read. In addition to traditional "leave-behind" materials, we produce other public policy media, including advertising, fax-broadcasts, email, and website content.
Whatever your federal government relations needs, give us a call. We'd be delighted to lend a helping hand.
Our past and current client experience in providing Government and Public Relations Practice include:
• Adhesives Manufacturers Association
• American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
• American Heart Association (AHA)
• Association for Operations Management
• Board for Certification in Pedorthics (BCP)
• Chartered Financial Analyst Society of Washington
• Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
• Express Delivery and Logistics Association
• Government of Iceland - Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
• Institute of Internal Auditors
• International Bone and Mineral Society
• International NGO Safety and Security Association
• International Society for Optics and Photonics
• Jeremy's Heroes
• Licensing Executives Society (LES)
• National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM)
• National Association of Manufacturers (NAM)
• National Center for Nonprofit Boards (BoardSource)
• National Council on Family Relations
• Wallcoverings Association
Sample client quote:
“...the strategic counsel that (Plexus Consulting Group)has provided to me and our organization has been very thorough, consistent and timely. It is good to know that if an emergency should arise, Plexus Consulting Group would be in our corner.
“I have enjoyed working with (Plexus Consulting Group) and appreciate all that you have shared with me to help me learn and grow in the PR space.”
-Courtney Shafer, Sr. Vice President of Communications, Entrepreneurs' Organization